The STAAR Vocabulary Kit will include a Vocabulary at a Glance flipbook, a Planning Guide, and Vocabulary Cards which are in English & Spanish
The Planning Guide includes the essential components of vocabulary instruction such as the importance of teaching vocabulary explicitly, the steps to effective vocabulary instruction, and which words and word parts to teach. In this section we have included the following word lists:
• Vocabulary from Assessed Standards
• Vocabulary found Across Grade Levels
• Vocabulary found Across Content
• Process Words with Definitions
We also have information on vocabulary Tiers, prefixes/suffixes, Greek/Latin roots, multiple-meaning words, and other important words.
In the vocabulary strategy section, we have included 30 strategies that have been differentiated by proficiency level along with word wall activities. This is a must for teachers of ELLs!
Vocabulary at a Glance includes steps to effective vocabulary instruction, guide on how to identify which words to teach, powerful word parts that are essential in enhancing vocabulary knowledge, cognates that jumpstart English Language Learners (ELLs) in English learning, and a plethora of vocabulary strategies. It also includes vocabulary instruction research and accommodations for the ELL.
Key features include:
• Steps to Effective Vocabulary Instruction
• Words to Teach Guide
• List of Cognates and Powerful Word Parts
• Vocabulary Strategies
STAAR Guide to Success provides teachers with assessment and instructional information that is needed to better prepare students for the new state assessment, STAAR.
It includes the following:
• Assessment Blueprints for All Subjects
• Reading, Math, Science, and Writing (grades 4 + 7 only) Standards with Depth of Knowledge (DOK) Levels
• Instructional Guide for DOK Levels with Question Stems, Sentence Frames and more!
• English Language Proficiency Standards
• Linguistic Accommodations and Information for each Assessment
• Essential Assessed Content Vocabulary in English and Spanish